This delicious Chicken Pad Thai is a healthier version of one of your takeout favorites. Enjoy the yummy tangy flavors of Thai food, made with good-for-you ingredients, and packed with veggies and lean protein. This dish is living proof that healthy doesn’t have to be bland and boring.
This dish would make a great recovery meal from one of your tougher workout sessions as it contains nutrient-rich carbs, proteins, and a splash of fats to refuel and recharge your body! Enjoy immediately, or meal prep for the week – this dish cooks up about 4-6 servings.
1 Box Brown Rice Pad Thai Noodles
1 Large Chicken Breast, Thinly Sliced
1 Cup Shredded Carrots
¼ White Onion, Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Tbsp Ginger, Minced
1 Zucchini, Chopped
1 Large Yellow Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
1 Cup Mushrooms, Quartered (Note: can use whatever veggies you like!)
2 green onions, sliced, whites and greens separated
Handful Cilantro, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1 Tbsp Butter
⅓ Cup Soy Sauce
¼ Cup Coconut Sugar
3 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
2 Tbsp Chili Garlic Paste (start with 1 If you like it mild)
2 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce<
1 Tbsp Hoisin
2 Tsp Fish Sauce
Salt, Pepper & Cayenne Powder to season chicken
- Cook noodles according to package. Save ½ Cup Pasta water, drain noodles. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Season chicken generously with salt, pepper and cayenne powder (light on cayenne if you prefer mild taste)
- Prepare sauce by combining soy sauce, coconut sugar, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce, hoisin, and fish sauce. Whisk and set aside.
- Combine sesame oil, shredded carrots, and a splash of the pasta water in a large wok on medium heat. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, onion, and scallions (white parts of green onions) for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, and another splash of water. Cook until vegetables start releasing their color (another 5-10 minutes).
- Push the veggies to one side and add in sliced chicken. Cook, flipping occasionally until all sides are browned and chicken is cooked through (5-10 minutes depending on how thinly sliced chicken is).
- Stir chicken and veggies to combine.
- Push to sides of pan to create a hole in the center on the pan. Add two eggs to the center and whisk until cooked through.
- Stir everything together to combine.
- Pour half the sauce and juice of 1 lime on top of mixture. Mix well.
- Add noodles and stir to combine!
- Serve to bowls (makes app. 4 individual servings), top it off with fresh lime, cilantro, and green onions. Sriracha to spice it up. (Peanuts and bean sprouts could also be used but I didn’t have any and don’t like them, can add a not or just leave out!)