Busy schedules can significantly affect our priorities, which often leaves less time to stop and think about how we are going to prepare our next healthy meal. While meal-replacement shakes and prepackaged meals are readily available, they lack the full nutrition profile to fuel your body effectively. Nutrition guidelines have been established to help people know what they should be eating every day. To help you combat a busy schedule, we’ve listed some quick healthy meal prep ideas to help you save time and boost your nutritional intake.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet: Calories = 225
This nutrition packed breakfast will leave you feeling satisfied and guilt free. To speed up prep process, dice up the sweet potato the night before or look for a pre diced pack at your local market. You will also need fresh or frozen spinach. Top it off with a over medium egg and a pinch of bacon bits for flavor and protein power. Double the ingredients to save for the next day!
Ingredients: (Protein 11g, Carbs 21g, Fat 9g,)
- 1 medium diced sweet potato
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh spinach
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of bacon bits (optional)
- Sauté sweet potato in a half cup of water with salt for about 5 minutes.
- TIP: smaller dice potatoes will cook faster. Make sure to uncover and let the water burn off after the first three minutes.
- Add fresh or frozen spinach after 5 minutes to allow time to wilt or warm.
- Fry the egg and place on top of the sweet potato spinach skillet
- Sprinkle with bacon bits and serve.
Portobello Margherita pizza: Calories = 239 (2)
Who doesn’t like Pizza? While pizza is a comfort food for many, its nutritional value can be limited, considering its excess fat and carb content would make anyone’s waistline unhappy. Fortunately, a wonderful pizza crust substitute has been found, in the form of a mushroom! Using mushroom as a crust supplement can cut the calories and carbs without sacrificing flavor and adding more nutrition. Its double win for dinner. Bake some extra for a quick meal ready for the next day.
Ingredients: (Protein 19g, Carbs 16g, Fat 11g)
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Tomato Slices
- Fresh basil
- Hint of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the stem of the mushroom.
- Brush the bottom of the mushrooms with olive oil and place on the baking sheet.
- Fill the open part of the mushroom with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, tomato, and salt.
- Bake for ten minutes.
- Garnish with basil.
No-Carb Chicken Taco Wraps: Calories = 474 (4)
Tacos are great! It’s hard to just eat one, and the calories can add up quickly before you become satisfied. Fortunately, we have a guilt free way you can consume multiple tacos and still stay on track with your diet. To shorten prep time, pick up some premade grilled chicken strips to make pre time a breeze.
Ingredients: (Protein 35g, Carbs 28g, Fat 21g)
- ¼ pound boneless grilled chicken strips
- ½ avocado
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- ½ cup Pico de Gallo
- Lay romaine leaves flat.
- Fill romaine leaves evenly with all ingredients.
- Double up the romaine leaves for additional vegetable servings.